Friday, May 20, 2022

Bits of History Revealed in Photo Form: The Pie Eating Contest

Hi, everyone. Recently, I was finally able to make a trip back to the United States (I live in Japan) and while visiting my mother in California I also was able to visit my aunt Joyce in Texas for a day. Although it was a short visit, it was truly a magical time. We were able to go through the hundreds of old photos that she had and she shared even more stories of our family history. In the next few weeks I think I’ll share some of the great photos that we came across. This week I’ll start with this funny one. 
The laughing girl you see in the middle of the photo is my aunt Joyce. Apparently she had just won a pie eating contest! I believe she said it was boysenberry or blueberry, something that leaves horrible stains. The photo was probably taken in Skagway, Alaska. I just love the joy on her face while her competitors are still face down in pie! The photographer (grandpa Tex perhaps?) really captured the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment