Thursday, February 6, 2020

Grandpa's Interesting Memento and Hindsight

Yesterday was the end of President Trump's impeachment trial in the Senate with the President being acquitted by a Republican party that was never going to convict a President from their own party. This seems as good of a time as any to share an interesting memento that I came across while going through my grandfather's things while cleaning out the house a few years ago. Grandpa Hennessy was my mother's father and his family originally came from Ireland before immigrating to Canada and then Michigan. Unfortunately, I was never able to meet him as he passed away a couple years before I was born. By all accounts, he was a stand-up, straight-laced guy who was an Army veteran and a postmaster after World War II. He was also apparently a Republican who was in favor of the Vietnam war. That's where the memento comes in. By the looks of the letter, my grandfather wrote then-President Nixon in support of the Vietnam war. The President (or more likely, his staff) was gracious enough to write back and thank him with this card. In hindsight, it's easy to see that both the Vietnam war and Tricky Dick were wrong for America but this is still an interesting piece of history to have in the family. I don't judge my grandfather for his choices at that time but I do wonder what he would think of the Republican party now.



No comments:

Post a Comment